I may have changed one of my character’s name and personality without realizing it. Oops.
He went from REDACTED to REDACTED, and his personality went from a slightly suspicious loner to a stressed bundle of nerves with no chill factor at all. It happened because I sort of stopped writing the book for a while, and when I got back into it last week I started with one of his POV scenes. And thus the change. He reacted to the situation I put him in as though he was a completely different character.
To be fair, this shift might have occurred regardless of gaps in writing. My outline shifted slightly since I wrote the first draft of it, and his personality changed to facilitate the plot better. If I hadn’t changed like that, it likely would have become stilted and strange. I hope. I really don’t know because he changed and that’s how it is.
The really embarrassing part is the name change. It’s not really a full change, exactly. More that I just changed the spelling without realizing it. And I don’t even have to say what the change was because before anyone sees it I can do a simple “search and replace” and fix it.
Of course, it wouldn’t have happened if I’d checked my notes before jumping back in and hoping for the best. Because, for some strange reason, I wasn’t able to perfectly recall every little tiny detail of the work I’d started a month prior, and oops, things went badly.